I am giving a presentation on climate change communication for the Archdiocese of Chicago’s Office of Human Dignity and Solidarity on Wednesday. The event description, my slides and links to additional resources are below.
“Join the Office of Human Dignity and Solidarity on Wednesday, June 6 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. as we answer Pope Francis’ call to ‘each person on this living planet’ to care for our common home. Because everyone’s home is different, creating effective campaigns around this initiative can be challenging.
During this seminary, Assistant Professor of Journalism Jill Hopke of DePaul University will share insights from the latest social science research on how to design communication strategies that connect climate change to daily life and tips for choosing engaging climate visuals. Participants will get ideas for how to tell new narratives about the human toll of our changing climate, as well as for building community resiliency and climate hope.”
Wednesday, June 6, 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Cardinal Meyer Center
3525 South Lake Park Avenue
Chicago, IL 60653
To register, click here.
Climate Change Communication Examples
- WBEZ – “Heat of the Moment” series
- Green the Church – “Green The Church: Black Churches are Going Green” (YouTube)
- The Climate Coalition (UK) – Show the Love campaign video “The Very Hot Snowman” narrated by musician Liam Gallagher (former lead singer for the rock band Oasis)
Climate Change Public Opinion
- Yale Program on Climate Change Communication and George Mason University’s Center for Climate Change Communication – “Six Americas” of public opinion on climate change (2018)
- Yale Program on Climate Change Communication – “Faith, Morality and the Environment” report (2016)
- New York Times – “How Americans Think About Climate Change, in Six Maps” data visualizations (2017)
- Pew Research Center – “Global Concern about Climate Change, Broad Support for Limiting Emissions” report (2015)
Resources for Communicating on Climate Change
- Climate Advocacy Lab – Resources
- Climate Generation – “Climate Minnesota: Local Stories, Community Solutions” project
- Climate Outreach – Climate Visuals database
- Climate Outreach – Communications Handbook for IPCC scientists guide (2018)
- Climate Outreach – The Uncertainty Handbook: A Practical Guide for Climate Change Communicators guide (2016)
- Climate Outreach – Managing the Psychological Distance of Climate Change guide (2016)
- GreenFaith – Resource Center
More about My Research
For more about my research on climate activism and climate visuals on social media, visit my Google Scholar page here.